Saturday, August 28, 2010

One, two, switcharoo

So, with our family already being in an unconventional circumstances, we add in some massive role reversal just for kicks.

Chris babysits the babies, or rather terrible twosome tyrannical toddlers, everyday while I am at work. He helps Melodie and Chloe get off to school, and picks up Chloe at the end of her school day. He kisses boo boos, dries tears, cooks dinner, and often has helpers in the kitchen baking up treats like cupcakes or brownies - something verboten in our house generally. He is soft spoken, easy going, and yet somehow manages to try make sure bed times get obeyed and prayers are offered before too many bites of the meal gets eaten.

I work, somewhat begrudgingly depending on the day, as a hardware store drone. That being said, it keeps the bills paid, food on the table, and a roof over our heads. I am boisterous and loud, with some of my favorite phrases being "Shake it off," "Tough it out" or "Suck it up soldier." (Bet you can't tell I was raised as a military brat! ) I wrestle with the kids extensively, which is why our coffee table, meant for quieter entertainment, like board games and coloring, spends more time pushed out of the way in the bathroom then in the living room where it belongs. Though spending time as additional towel rack/clothes closet doesn't seem to be damaging it much, I am beginning to wonder the wisdom behind that investment to begin with.

I leave tools precariously about. My father can vouch for this, as he more than once wondered exactly why the hammer was being stored in the nursery. (I had been hanging up shelving). I take pride in being "handy" and fixing things, and as of late have seemed to imagine myself being some type of carpenter as that our minimal valuable storage space is being taken up with wood for my "projects."

As mild mannered and easy going as Chris is, I come with a warning label "Caution : extremely volatile. Does not live well or play well with others."

He shakes his head and laughs at my own somewhat harebrained antics. Asserts that because of me, Melodie is never going to have a proper teenage rebellion. Blue hair? Sure honey - if you add white highlights it would be super cute. Skulls and black? Look at the cutest shirt I just found! The skulls are shiny and even have wings! Nose ring? When you save up enough money dear, and I even found a stud that's a butterfly. Due to the recent conversation on tattoos, Chris's new mantra is "Your body is a temple."

Let it be said that I am not trying to be Melodie's best friend on these issues. I just feel that there are bigger issues to worry about in life than hair color and fashion choices. Perhaps teaching 8th grade in Flint and watching children just a little bit older than her sell drugs and prostitute themselves out made me feel this way. Or perhaps the knowledge that when she knows she isn't going to shock me, it won't seem as cool and she will moves on from whatever stage into the next one and one day revert back to being something a little more shelf stable, preferably human like.

All in all, having Chris back in our lives has been beneficial. Financially, it is saving me money and allowing me to consider other options in terms of employment and education. Having him around allows me more quality time on a one and one basis with each of the children, especially Melodie. He gets some of my errands done for me while I am at work, which allows me to come home and actually be with my kids, instead of running around like a crazed chicken until everyone is overtired and hungry. Church attendance for our family has drastically improved, as that he can help corral, cajole, and corner whichever children are healthy enough to go.

Everyone has already learned to ask him first for permission. He is beginning to learn to ask me before answering, and once he does, I am sure he will be able to return that flame retardant suit to the nice men down at the local station.

No comments:

Post a Comment