Saturday, August 28, 2010

Because because because

I have developed an unusual relationship with the father of my children. Some may think it unreasonable that I even talk to the man whom fathered three children with me. Our relationship before he left was tumultuous on the best of days. When Eminem raps about a "tornado meets a volcano" he pretty much had us pegged.

The circumstances of of his leaving our family three years ago were grievous. The recovery afterwards was costly - emotionally and financially. So why on earth would I let him back into our lives?

*Because after weighing the lawyer costs and court fees in order to hold off the inevitable, I decided that the best financial option was to work out an arrangement between ourselves.

*Because I needed help and a break. After being on my knees so much that I have permanent carpet indentations asking for some kind of assistance or relief, this option was offered to me.

*Because my babysitter makes almost five hundred more a month that I do to watch just Zachary and Sophie.

*Because my oldest daughter needs the opportunity to be a kid and not the surrogate parent that is an inherent part of being in our situation.

*Because to one very special little girl, her daddy remains her superhero - complete with cape and the ability to leap large buildings in a single bound.

*Because people make mistakes. Sometimes these mistakes are rather large and hurt those around them. But people also can learn from their mistakes, changing and becoming a better person afterwards.

*Because all are forgiven in Christ.

*Because sometimes when you are outnumbered, it is nice to have an ally.

*Because if not for any other reason, I receive a certain amount of maniacal comic relief as I am regaled with tales of typical two year old antics that are normal fare for me, but totally new to him. Add in a moody cynical teenager and a six year old prima donna, and I get a deranged satisfaction out of a) being right about things 97% of the time, especially when he insists on trying things his way first and b) not telling him the right way first and watching him figure it out.







No comments:

Post a Comment