"We all have our time machines. Some take us back, they're called memories. Some take us forward, they're called dreams" - Jeremy Irons
While I have been busily straightening the house, preparing for a weekend guest from out of state, I finally managed to unpack the last few boxes from our move. I have also managed to vacuum out the van for the first time since our arrival (it should be noted that frosted mini-wheats, no matter how much children like them, are NOT good travel food) , and post some recent pictures on Facebook. It is only now that I realize we have been here almost five months. Five months? It seems almost hardly possible. Even though some of the very cold and snowy days have felt individually endless, it also feels like we just got here a few weeks ago.
We had great travel weather - bright, sunny, and gorgeous the entire time. Nothing dramatic happened, unless you count that we subsisted pretty much the entire drive off of McDonald's, there were a few desperate miles of waiting to find civilization, and the lone rest stop resembled something that would make "The Shining" seem like hospitable and feel good. We also learned that slight incline and 90 degree demon drop can mean the same thing on directions, and that will power alone will not cause a van to drive over 35 mph if it is climbing a mountain and pulling an overloaded trailer.
People came out of the wood work to help when we arrived - providing enough cooked meals to last us two weeks, and unloading the van, trailer, and car top carrier so quickly I barely got the word "Hi" out before they were done.
We have been incredibly blessed to have a great ward, good neighbors, and a generally open hearted community. Upon learning that we were new comers, people made sure I knew where everything was, what numbers to call, and had recommendations on where to go for everything from pediatric care to Popsicles. To ease some of the scramble for Halloween costumes, we were able to borrow from my visiting teaching companion - and we got to experience the annual Pumpkin Walk - which is a walk through of displays comprised of scenes made out of pumpkins, and ended with cider and cookies.
Was the move everything I hoped for? Absolutely. I could not have done a better thing for my family. Every time I step outside, even now, I am swept away by the beauty and majesty of the scenery surrounding our small community. There is simply no way to capture it, on film or in words. It is truly awesome.
Moving here allowed me to transfer into a full time position with Home Depot, with a set schedule and guaranteed hours. I have weekends off, and get out early enough in the afternoon that I can have some quality time with the kids before they go to bed. They go to better and safer schools - I get calls on a regular basis from parent volunteers at the middle school with kudos from the teachers on Melodie's performance in the classroom, and Chloe's school secretary has even gone as far as to help arrange transportation for Chloe to go to birthday parties.
Shortly before Christmas I finally caved and cut Zachary's hair, primarily because my little monkey man had started pulling it back into pony tails on his own. Zachary copy cats everything Sophie does, which means I am now potty training two toddlers, though only one of which is ready - and the standard warning issued to unsuspecting visitors in our house is "Watch out for puddles." I am also getting the special treat of some spectacular tantrums thrown by two very stubborn and opinionated toddlers.
Speaking of toddlers, it is their bedtime. More to write later, such as the many deaths of the parakeets, the recent updates with Melodie, and the desperate search through pictures to determined if the newly lost tooth was indeed supposed to actually come out......
Glad you're back to blogland! You need to post more!!! Happy to hear all is going well.
ReplyDeleteThose slide shows were neat. How did you do that?
ReplyDelete